French Police Arrest 17 Suspects in Connection With Kim Kardashian Robbery [Updated]

In October, the perpetrators reportedly made out with more than $10 million worth of jewelry.
Author:
Updated:
Original:
Kim Kardashian at the Givenchy's spring 2017 show during Paris Fashion Week on Oct. 2, 2016. Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

Kim Kardashian at the Givenchy's spring 2017 show during Paris Fashion Week on Oct. 2, 2016. Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

Scroll down for updates to this story.

Several suspects — 17 of them — in connection with Kim Kardashian's violent robbery that took place during Paris Fashion Week in October are now in custody, reports BBC. The individuals are said to be mainly in their 50s and were arrested in early morning raids that took place "in the Paris region and elsewhere." Investigators now have 96 hours to question the suspects, who reportedly range in age from 23 to 73.

According to BBC, French police were able to locate the suspects with traces of DNA left on the material used to tie up Kardashian, as well as a pendant that the group had left behind. "Five men took part in the attack," wrote BBC. "Three held up the night porter while the other two entered Kardashian West's luxury apartment, tied her up and locked her in the bathroom." Police said in October that the men had made out with more than $10 million worth of jewelry, including a ring worth $4.5 million.

Naomi Campbell revealed on "The Wendy Williams Show" last week that she was the subject of an attempted heist similar to Kardashian's in 2012, also in Paris. "[A group] followed me from the airport," she said. "They attacked me. They opened my car door and said, 'Naomi Campbell, we're going to kill you.' I didn't make it so public. I didn't want it to be. I think there's a picture of me in a wheelchair at the time."

Update, Jan. 10: French publication Le Monde is now reporting that a 27-year-old suspect arrested on Monday was employed by the limo company the Kardashian family is known to use while traveling in Paris. Police confirmed to E! News that this driver was "the last to chauffeur Kim before the robbery and would have known all her movement," as well as that she was alone. 

Meanwhile, French officials have also stated that several of the suspects are older men with ties to organized crime, describing them as "veteran criminals with years of experience," per The New York Times.

Update, Jan. 12: The first charges have now been filed by French police against three suspects, according to Page Six. The charges include armed robbery in an organized gang, kidnapping, handling stolen goods and criminal association and are leveled against three suspects known as Yunice A., Florus H. and Marceau B. A fourth suspect known as Gary M. — the brother of the Kardashian’s Paris chauffeur, Michael Madar, who was arrested and released earlier this week — was also appearing before a judge, and more charges are expected to follow.

Note: This story has been updated to reflect that 17, rather than 16, suspects are now in custody, according to The New York Times.

Update, Jan. 16: Kardashian's statement to policy was released to French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche and reveals that at the time of the robbery, she was naked under her bathrobe when two masked gunmen burst into her residence. "They grabbed me and took me to the entrance hall. I was wearing a bathrobe, naked underneath. We then went back to the room and they pushed me onto the bed. That’s when they tied me with plastic cables and sticky tape on the hands, then they taped my mouth and legs. They carried me to my bathroom, to my bathtub to be precise," she said in the statement to Le Journal. Additionally, the updated report reveals the value of the stolen items at around $5 million, or roughly half of the "over $10 million" previously reported.

Never miss the latest fashion industry news. Sign up for the Fashionista daily newsletter.