ALIX is seeking an Assistant Designer in New York City to work alongside the Creative Director/Founder and assist in the development and timely execution of each collection.
The ideal candidate is able to develop product that is on the forefront of trends and market demands to drive business. Must have at least 2-3 years of experience working with domestic and overseas garment manufacturers within the contemporary / womenswear market.
- Manage design/development process from initial inspiration through market opening, ensuring seasonal collections are executed on calendar and on budget, while maintaining the mandatory level of quality and efficiency throughout every step of the process
- Present relevant trends, inspiration, color trends, and innovative original design concepts that reflect the ALIX brand integrity and aesthetic
- Delegate tasks and follow up with patternmaker and factories throughout development phase, ensuring workload is being handled in timely fashion and finding solutions as needed
- Schedule and oversee development fittings, making sure all comments are properly documented and passed off in a timely manner; ensure accurate garment construction and fit
- Send out and follow up on all approvals (lab dips, screen prints, strike offs, etc)
- Submit purchase orders factories, fabric, trim, and embroideries to local and international suppliers and monitor all packages (headers, sample fabric, trim, print strike offs, color lab dips, development trials, etc.) and ensure delivery to relative destination
- Maintain a system for tracking inventory all sample fabric, trims, hardware, costing each season in an organized manner
- Organize all fabric headers & trim for archiving and seasonal pass off to production
- Record and manage all design related expenses for budgeting purposes
- Prepare all sample cut tickets/spec packages for factories; technical spec, construction details, illustration, materials, trims, and hardware
- Track and organize sample line, ensure all samples are made on time and to correct specifications
- Source and maintain strong relationships with all vendors - factories, mills, trim manufacturers, etc.
- Work with Sales & Production on seasonal linesheets, certifying all data is accurate and complete in time for selling
- Analyze seasonal performance of the collection to plan for future product assortment to increase profitability
- Partner with PR/Marketing on creating samples, design projects/collaborations as needed
- Manage daily workload of design interns
- 2-3 years experience in Design or Product Development role in a women’s contemporary/RTW brand
- Experience interacting (daily) with domestic and overseas mills and vendors (fabric & trim)
- Intermediate to Advanced - Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel
- Strong portfolio of Technical Drawing and Hand Sketching
- Product presentation and visual merchandising skills
- Self-starter with ability to plan, collaborate and execute all tasks efficiently
- Positive, proactive, problem solver with an exceptional ability to think quickly and adapt
- Negotiating and follow-up skills
- Great attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Experience with swimwear, intimates a plus
- Working knowledge of fabric & trim development, embroideries, and full-fashion knitwear a plus
To Apply: Email your resume to email@example.com with subject line “ALIX: Assistant Designer”. Please include a cover letter in the body of your email telling us about yourself and why you’d be a great fit for this position. If you have any portfolio or past work please add it to your email.