The Associate Producer, Podcasts will assist in producing program material for a celebrity influencer’s distributed podcast program. The successful candidate will be a creative, collaborative producer who can successfully generate content based on big ideas. We’re looking for a strong thinker who can translate big ideas into richly-layered audio soundscapes, engaging interview segments, and thematically unified podcast episodes. We’re seeking someone who is imaginative and experienced with generating multi-track sonic sequences and long-form interview feature segments.
The Associate Producer, Podcasts will assist the host and influential contributors to the program by generating story and interview ideas; conducting research and assisting in arranging interviews; and writing news and program copy, as well as production material. Content for digital media is an integral part, and employee will be expected to contribute audio and digital material.
Essential Duties Include:
- Edits audio.
- Edits host interviews and actualities.
- Edits podcast episodes.
- Prepares scripts and other materials as required.
- Assists in producing program material for podcast host, influential celebrity guests, and others in studios and on location.
- Builds complete segments of program by editing, scripting and linking two or more related pieces, music and other elements.
- Collaborates on building complete episodes of program by editing, scripting, and thematically linking full program segments.
- Generates montages and other creative audio soundscapes based on program elements.
- Works with host, producers, and others in arranging for related elements to complete or supplement a piece.
- Plans remote production and goes on location with producers and hosts and prepares material for air.
- Generates segment and interview ideas.
- Reviews podcast material and pitches ideas for interviews and pieces.
- Conducts research and assists in arranging interviews.
- Pre-interviews guests and prepares research material for hosts.
- Writes program copy.
- Drafts copy for host interviews and features.
- Writes open and return copy.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- At least one year of radio production experience on broadcast digital audio workstations (i.e. MTE/DAVID, Dalet, ProTools or similar)
- At least one year of experience working with daily deadlines
- At least one year of experience in editorial decision-making
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
- Familiarity with a range of subject areas such as world news, politics, business, science, and arts
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
- Experience working in and filing from the field
- Understanding of journalistic ethics
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong sense of shaping big ideas under daily deadline pressure
- Digital and social media skills
- Experience in radio broadcasting.
- Experience with producing multi-track sonic sequences and editing long-form interview feature segments.
- Digital media skills, including proficiency in social media as a news gathering technique.
- Familiarity with blogging and Web 2.0 functionalities.
- Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities.