Kala is reinventing sustainable intimate and sleepwear apparel and seeking an experienced Intimate specific and Sleepwear Apparel Designer to join the team. This is a dynamic, hands-on role in an early stage start-up.
- Work closely with the Founder of Kala to establish design direction, seasonal color/fabrication concepts and brand identity
- Research and development of new design concepts while maintaining brand DNA
- Partner with Production Manager to source and consider alternative sustainable practices within the industry in regards to development, trim, fabrication, etc.
- Develop strong working relationships with cross functional team members (production, marketing, PR) through communication and problem solving
- Present creative concepts and technical ideas to Founder/Kala team
- Independently produce detailed freehand and technical sketches, patterns and first found of prototypes for each collection
- Create and maintain all Tech-packs
- Attend and manage all fittings
- Correct all patterns in a timely manner to reflect changes from fittings
- Ability to achieve target deadlines and time & action calendar
- Work closely with local factories to properly communicate design details and construction
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of design studio
- Frequent trips to the Garment Center to visit with factories and to replenish development supplies
- Manage interns
- At least 5+ years working experience in intimate apparel design as well as experience with Cut & Sew and Wovens
- Skilled pattern drafter and sewer, hands-on experience with sewing machinery functions (single needle, coverstitch, serger, etc).
- Expert level knowledge of garment construction
- Very strong understanding of sizing (standard and plus), construction complexities and grading of intimate apparel specifically
- Proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, and Microsoft Suite. InDesign is a plus, but not required.
- Effective communication and development skills
- Not afraid to present new ideas
- Familiarity with NYC Garment Center a plus
- Highly creative and positive attitude
- Problem solver and a quick thinker
Salary Range: 50,000-60,000
To Apply: Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.